Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Brew Dogs

   A couple days ago, I was at a large beer and wine store just north of downtown Orlando with a lot of specialty micro-brewery beers. I picked up a couple bottles that I had been curious about, including this one. I have really liked the different beers I have had from this brewery, which is called Brew Dogs. They are in Scotland and they came to my attention when I heard about one of their beers called "Tactical Nuclear Penguin". With a name like that, how can you go wrong?? :)
   Anyway, I saw this beer at the store and was drawn to it. It is a limited release and was literally the last one in the store. The price for this one beer was absolutely stupid, but I had faith in the brewery and threw caution to the wind.
   That was about a week ago. I had dropped this beer off, along with several others, at some friends' house to be enjoyed later.
   And later came tonight. :)
  
   Wow. :)
   Several months back, a friend had taken a trip to Paris. She brought back some cool chocolates including one perfumed with thyme. She also brought back some macarons. All of them were amazing, but one was flavored with roses. When I ate it, I was in awe because the beautiful essence of the rose -the heart and soul of the rose - was distilled into that small pastry. It was deeply beautiful and I was in silent awe at the mind and heart that could make something so extraordinary.
   I will never forget that moment.
   Tonight was not in that some level. But it was in the neighborhood. :)
   This beer was one of the most deeply complex and perfumed beers I have ever experienced. Even before I tasted it, I was impressed! There was a deep hops smell, but it was amazingly fruity and flowery.
   When I tasted it, there were 3 distinct phases.
   The first was a pleasantly bitter bite on the tip of the tongue. It tasted like juniper and eucalyptus and mint.
   After that, the big taste in the middle of the tongue was that hop-flower-fruit perfume that was in the smell, with a nice physical weight because of the alcohol content.
   At the back of the tongue, once it was swallowed, was a dark, smokey oak taste rounded off with the bitter-sugar taste of molasses.
   When I pulled air in through my mouth after I swallowed, the whole series of tastes happened again all over again, but lighter and sweeter.
   An extraordinarily crafted beer. I was really impressed.
   
   Here's the label:


No comments:

Post a Comment